Mason BB Grand problems

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 09:15:00 -0500 (EST)

Here's another way:

        Suppose we are tuning a grand.  I position my hammer on
        the tuning pin so that the shaft is pointing away from me
        and is parallel to the string.  I usually tune in this
        position. Before dealing with the "sticition" string let
        me say that I am always making mental images in my memory
        of where the pin is in the pinblock.  I do not let the
        change of the pitch of the string affect that judgment
        but rather only what I can feel of the pin in the
        pinblock. Now to deal with the overpull where the pin has
        moved to a sharper position but the pitch of the string
        has not changed; I lift straight up on the end of the
        shaft until the pitch of the string changes.  Keep in
        mind that what I am doing is actually bending the pin and
        not moving it in the block. Next I give a jiggle to the
        pin to restore it to equilibrium at the same time I am
        delivering hard blows to the piano key. Repeat steps as
        necessary.  Likewise you can tune a string to a lower
        pitch in which case you would bend the pin in the
        opposite direction.

Michael Wathen
"Mike in Cincinnati"