Inertia

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 08:05:00 -0500 (EST)

Alright, I've examined my conscience.  Forgive me, my experience
is the same as Ken's with regards the heavy versus light feel.
The complaints about not enough resistance are usually due to
friction.

I am in these posts only talking about using "Genuine Steinway
Parts".

Static Friction is defined as the force that is provided to a
mass object that successfully prevents its motion.  In other
words, as soon as there is movement Static Friction no longer has
any effect.  Kinetic Friction or Moving Friction is, as its name
suggests, the force provided to a mass object that resists the
direction of the motion of the mass object.  Experiments will
verify that the magnitude of the Static Friction Force is
greater than the magnitude of the Kinetic Friction.  A little
head reasoning should convince one that this is true in general.
Kinetic Friction does not change as the speed changes.  However,
in the case of a grand action the magnitude of the Kinetic
Friction force will changes as the hammer moves through its arc.
This is due to the change of the direction of its gravity vector.
At near rest position the weight of the hammer shank assembly is
shared between in fixed amounts between the hammershank center
pin and the rest position of the knuckle on the whippen.  As the
hammer moves towards the top of its arc of travel more of the
weight is supported by the whippen (creating more friction at the
knuckle) and less weight is supported by the hammershank center
pin.

What this really means is that Angular acceleration of the the
Hammer is not constant due to the changes of friction.  This
complicates any attempt to measure it and one can only hope for
some sort of equivalent meaningful measurement.  I have verified
through experimentation these results.  I have found that the
hammer accelerates quite nicely through the first half of its arc
and decelerates in the last half of its arc.  Probably one should
be concerned about this first half since the final speed of the
shank upon impact is dependent of the acceleration of the first
half.

I'm going to bow out of these Internet discussions for a while.
I am presently taking a course in Partial Differential Equations
and Fourier Analysis.  Its very hard and requires all my
theoretical free time to do the homework problems.  So it
competes with PianoTech.  See you in March!

Michael Wathen
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati