Magnetic pick-up

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 16:05:08 -0600 (CST)

Dave,

Sorry, I couldn't find the pick-up.  I must have thrown it out-
there's a high recommendation for you.  As I was searching my
office, my memory banks stirred and I remembered the guys at the
music store (my former employer*) talking about supplying most
of the musical instruments and sound equipment Willie Nelson and
a Farm Aid concert at Universiyt of Illinois some years ago.
They told me about a piano tuner who had some sort of pick-up
that attached to the soundboard (we're talking about a real
piano).  The device, I think, fed into both an accutuner and
headphones.  I don't know anything about sound systems or
electronics, but I recall being told that the headphones had to
be a special kind ($$$$)--maybe they had their own amplification
system or power pack?  If you're interested, you might try
going to a music store that equips professionals and find some-
one who would know how to set it up.  If you do, let me know.

I can't remember why I didn't pursue it.  I have found that my
earplugs filter out enough of the loud sound levels that I can
usually tune in a fairly noisy environment.  Of course, flutes
in the next practice room still make me a *little* tense.

Barb Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois

*Actually, I liked working retail.  That is, until I started
 hating it.

--
Obey gravity; it's the law.