Repetition Experiment

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 19:33:03 -0500

Bill Spurlock rote:
<<For what it's worth, I did a little experimenting a couple of years ago
with a Yamaha action model.>>
Yes, it's worth quite a bit, hearing your description of ths earlier
ecperiment. I've forward the post on to the others in the NH Chapter who are
working on this.
<<Also, the repetition speeds were probably beyond what anyone would need to
achieve by hand.>>
I'd love to hear a trill at 20 reps/sec/note. Probably like a minor second
accompanied by a woodpecker!
Did you also investigate deep repetition? How repetition functions at he top
of the stroke and then deeper down where lots of pianists try to push it may
be two different things. I have a manual test for this in which I make an
up-stop for one natural with the fingers of one hand (attached to the
neighboring natural) and with the fingers of the other hand, play a
dotted-eigth/ sixteenth pattern (would that I were a pianist!). I increase
the speed and lower the upstop until repetition fails. Generally, I'd like
the upstop to get as close above escapement as possible. When the NH Chapter
does it, we'll probably add this upstop. Our current obstacle is the 30
frames/sec. generally found on home market videocams. We're also likely to
have the actuator be a solenoid and timing circuit rather than a motor-driven
cam wheel. (I did tell Neil Rosenberg and Doug Kirkwood that you might be
able to dredge up your original drawings for the cam wheel.)
It was great to hear of this.

Bill Ballard RPT    "Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am,
           NH Chapter          and you are what you are"    From a recurring
nightmare.