20th Centruy Music

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 08:25:28 -0500 (EST)

Greetings All,
      We have a professor that specializes in playing 20th centry music and
teaches performance of same as well as a course about same for all and
sundry.
      His is the only teaching studio that consistantly has broken strings,
at least one a month to the point that I have restrung the entire top section
of the piano, one string at a time.
      Unfortunately pianos are 18th and 19th century instruments that were
not designed or even concieved to endure such punishment and yet it is
impossible to convince them that they are breaking their toys like a
misbehaving child who would be punished for such behavior.
      The composers and performers feel that they must make you listen to
their music by making it as loud as possible without regard to the source of
the abominable noise.
      I hate the stuff and hate to clean up after it.
      We do have a "designated hitter", a 1985 Bechstein C that has a flat
board, delaminating pinblock and will not therefore stay in tune more than
the time it takes me to pack up my tools and reach the door.  It also needs a
set of hammers that it will get soon.
      Have a nice weekend up coming.
            Newton
            nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu