Ron Van Hoose Tuning Course Review (LONG)

DAVander@aol.com DAVander@aol.com
Mon, 03 Jul 1995 17:46:29 -0400

>Hello all,
>
>I just downloaded an interesting file from my server (America
>On-Line).  I
>found a file labeled piantung.zip which contains the text (minus
>pictures) of
>a book called "Strictly Tuning" by Ron Van Hoose (who I don't find >in the
PTG
>directory.)  This "course" says that it includes everything that one
>needs to
>know in order to learn to tune any piano or start your own piano
>tuning
>business.  Now maybe I'm just a slow learner, but as a second
>generation
>technician, a member of the Guild for a number of years and a
>perpetual
>student,  the process seems just a little bit more complicated than
>can be
>contained in one book (even Professor Jorgenson's "Tuning").  Any
>thoughts?
>
>Also, if you register with the author, you can receive a certificate
>of
>completion upon completing the course.
>
>Just thought y'all might want to know.

>Allan Gilreath
>Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
>Berry College

I am sending this to the pianotech mailing list because of the number of
replies that I got requesting this review.  I WARNED you it was long!  ;-)

-------------------------------------
I saw this posting and thought I would reply.  About five years ago I was
interested in piano tuning, and I saw an ad in the back of some music
magazine that I got from my local music store.  The ad was for  the above
mentioned course, entitled "Strictly Tuning the Acoustic Piano", by Ron Van
Hoose, in Virginia Beach, VA.

I ordered the course for the princely sum of $105.00, and I eagerly awaited
arrival of the course.  When it came, the box held two 60 minute cassete
tapes, a spiral bound 45 page book called "Strictly Tuning the Acoustic
Piano", a gooseneck student tuning lever, a C-523.3 tuning fork, some rubber
stick mutes and a red felt temperament strip.

The two 60 minute cassette tapes illustrated the various intervals, beats,
and procedures to tune the temperament and the rest of the piano.  To me the
tapes were the most helpful thing about the course.  The book had a lot of
good things in it, but being able to listen to what the piano was supposed to
sound like was most helpful.

Chapter One of the book had some basic discussion of tuning theory,
including beats, the piano keyboard (note names and numbers), intervals,
equal temperament, the series of partials, and the ratios of the different
intervals.

Chapter Two had basic discussion of piano tools, piano parts, muting the
strings, BASIC discussion of tuning hammer technique, how to listen for
beats, how to set the pin, how to use the tuning fork, and how to tune
unisons and octaves.  (By the way, just by reading the course I had no real
idea of what he meant by "setting the pin".  I tuned for almost three years
after finishing this course before someone showed me how to set a tuning pin
so it would stay.  There really is no substitute for hands-on training!)

Chapter Three covered setting the temperament octave, including some tests to
prove that it was actually equal temperament.  The temperament that Mr. Van
Hoose taught involved setting C-52 to the tuning fork C-523.3.  The next step
was to tune C-40 from C-52 "so there are no audible beats".  Then tune C-28
from C-40 "the same way".  The temperament octave was from C-28 to C-40
because he said that the beats of the intervals were slower and therefore
easier to hear in that section of the piano.  The temperament was set by
tuning up a major third from C-28 to E-32, up another major third
from E-32 to G#-36, and then down a major fifth from G#-36 to C#-29.  It was
continued by tuning up a third, up a third, down a fifth several times until
you arrived back at C-40.

There were illustrations of musical notes on a staff showing which notes to
tune and also  which tests to use to check the tuning.  One test he mentions
is that when you play a minor third (say, from C#-29  to E-32), and then play
a major third on top of that (say from E-32 up to G#-36), the minor third
beats slightly faster than the major third.   Another good test he taught was
that the parallel major thirds should increase in speed as you go up through
the temperament octave.  Also, he said that the beats in parallel ascending
fourths and fifths should gradually increase in speed.

HOWEVER, no mention was made of how to check and see how close that C-52 was
set to the tuning fork.  No mention was made of any tests to see whether the
octaves had the appropriate amount of stretch or not, and no mention was made
of what tests you would use to test a fourth or a fifth.  He did say in this
chapter that I had learned "All 'tests' needed to check your work as you go."
 You can use your own judgment to decide whether he really did teach "All
tests necessary"!

Chapter Four taught tuning the remaining 75 notes of the piano by "tuning
beatless octaves".  Here he did teach several tests to check the octaves,
including the minor third-major sixth test, the major third-major tenth test,
the double octave test.  Another test he taught in the extreme bass was to
use the Octave/Minor seventh test.    This chapter also gave tips on treble
and bass tuning, and causes of false beats and buzzing bass strings.

Chapter Five discussed pitch raising, why pianos go out of tune, and
discussion of electronic vs. aural tuning.  There was a small section on
humidity control, but not really any details.  He discussed using a
"Sight-O-Tuner" (no mention of any other tuning devices), but recommended not
becoming dependent on an electronic tuning device.

Chapter Six covered repairs, such as string replacement in the bass and
treble sections, loose tuning pins, and spinet action removal.  He mentioned
that "in the beginning stage of your Piano Service Business, you may want to
concentrate on tuning and farm out repair work to other technicians in your
area".  On bass string replacement he taught that it is possible to send in
the old bass string to a supply house to get an exact replacement, "however,
usually it is preferable to use one of the universal strings."

Appendix A was a table of equivalent beat rates.

Appendix B was the theoretical fundamental pitches of all 88 notes.

Appendix C covered musical notation.

Along with the cassette tapes and book, Mr. Van Hoose offered phone
consultation with his students at no extra cost, other than the student's
long distance phone bill.  He was available for only about two evenings for
two hours each week to talk to his students.  I ended up calling him only
twice while I was studying his course, because it wasn't really convenient to
call.  The phone consultation might have been more helpful to me if I had
called more often.

There was only one exam for the course.  When I felt ready to take
the exam, I sent in a blank cassette tape and fifteen dollars.  When
the cassette tape was returned, side A had twenty questions to be
answered.  The answers were to be recorded on side B.  Half of the
questions were to be answered orally, and these questions covered
some of the various intervals, about some of the math involved, about
names and numbers of various keys on the keyboard, etc.  For the
other half of the questions I was to record what my tuning of the
temperament octave sounded like (center strings only).  (The exam
did not test my unison or octave tuning ability, or whether or not I knew how
to get the right amount of stretch for the piano.)

And, Yes, I did get a certificate upon completion of the course.  The
certificate actually looks pretty impressive, stating that "David A.
Vanderhoofven has satisfactorly [sic] completed the prescribed course of
study in PROFESSIONAL PIANO TUNING."
(In my opinion, the certificate should have said "Beginning Piano Tuning",
but then that doesn't sound as important!)

In my opinion, this course was fairly good as far as it went, but it
was VERY basic.  There were numerous things that weren't even
mentioned in this course, even in passing.  Many repairs were not
discussed at all, and there was no discussion of regulating or voicing.
The problem was, when I got my certificate, I thought I knew what I
needed to know to tune pianos.  (Boy was I in for a rude awakening!)

The course didn't mention the Piano Technicians Guild, and I am fairly
certain that Ron Van Hoose is not a member of the PTG.  To his credit, let me
say that I got the impression that he had a genuine interest in teaching
others to tune pianos.  I also felt that Mr. Van Hoose understood that his
information was of a very basic level to teach beginning tuners.  However, he
didn't make it clear to me that I
should continue seeking continuing education.  For a basic course
it was okay, but very limited in scope. This course was a beginning
point for me, and since then I have studied every book I can find about piano
tuning and servicing in my attempt to learn "all that I need to know to tune
a piano".  I have been tuning for five years now, and I finally feel that I
am at around the Intermediate level in this field.
It is a mistake to think that such a short course could completely
cover everything.

Later I received a 5.25" IBM computer disk containing the text of the
spiral bound book.  I paid an additional $29.95 and received a second
computer disk that covered business practices and minor repairs.
Several pages of illustrations and diagrams were included, showing
different piano actions and parts.  His book and the computer disks
were easy to read.   If anyone is considering purchasing this course,
let me say that you get what you pay for.  Let me recommend instead the Randy
Potter School of Piano Technology.  It is a lot more expensive, but then
again it is MUCH more comprehensive.  (No that was not a paid advertisement!
 I am a current student of Randy Potter's course, and I think that it is much
better!)

Thanks for paying attention all of the way through my long letter!
If anyone has any more questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
DAVander@aol.com
Joplin, Missouri
Associate Member PTG, Kansas City Chapter