shanks

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 06 Jul 1995 10:11:23 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:10 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         shanks                                Date:  7/6/95

------------------ORIGINAL POST------------------------

As far as I know Renner USA does not supply the same shank that Steinway
supplies.  The Steinway part is made with the Knuckle farthur out and it
designed for the current weight hammer supplied by Steinway.

The Renner USA knuckle is significantly closer to the flange center and in
most cases is not compatable with the weight hammer that Steinway makes,
(heavier than most).

Stanwood

I think you are correct, David. For sure, very problematic results can be had
by using a heavy hammer with the shank Renner sells, that is if it is the one
with the knuckle closer to the flange.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory