Piano tuning studies

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 06 Jul 1995 19:17:44 -0400

Helmut,

If your are really interested in the historical development of tuning
practices, may I suggest  "Tuning" by Owen Jorgensen published by Michigan
State University Press isbn 0-87013-290-3.  Probably the best work on tuning
that I have run across.  Also a couple of other recommendations.  Look in to
a Kurzweil K2000, for extensive control of tuning control, and a Sanderson
Accu-Tuner for your experiments in reading and setting pitches.

The beauty of equal temperament tuning is that while intervals sound equally
bad, they also sound equally good.  While some pieces sound much more
harmonious in a certain non-equal tuning, and proper writing makes use of the
inherent dissonances, other pieces ,or simply playing in a different key,
sound absolutely terrible.  Everything is a trade off, or as they say you
don't get something for nothing.  The historical tnuings have a very definite
place when used in the right context and application.  However, while I use
these temperaments for historical concerts, I'm not quite ready to give up on
equal temperament as a failed experiment.

Enjoy experimenting!

Allan Glireath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co
Berry College