Renner Wippens

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Thu, 06 Jul 1995 21:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Ron Torrella wrote:

> and replacing them with a lesser gauge wire.  (I trained my apprentice to
> do this little operation--she cranks `em out as I need `em.)  Makes the
> hammers a little more lively.  The larger gauge wire tends to make the
> highest hammers difficult to adjust.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has had this experience?

      Yes, I agree that you need a lighter gauge spring in the treble.
NY Steinway wippens use  two different diameters of spring
wire, the lighter one for use in the treble. I believe that wippens in
Hamburg Steinways use five different gauges of spring wire.

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide