More Agraffee

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Fri, 07 Jul 1995 10:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995, Michael Wathen 556-9565 wrote:

> I just restrung a Baldwin M, accujust pins.  I replaced the
> agraffes.  When I brought the piano up to pitch one of the
> agraffees shot out of the hole.  It turns out that the hole in
> the plate is stripped.  Suggestions and ideas?

      Michael, you might be able to find a Helicoil small enough. I
think Helicoils were designed for replacing damaged threads in engine
blocks; I know I've repaired a cross-threaded spark plug hole with one.
You rent the Helicoil installer tool from a rental place. I just don't
know how small they come.
      Failing that, you might have to drill the hole to a larger size
and tap it, then install the appropriate sized threaded rod, then drill
and tap a hole in the center of the rod to accept the agraffe.
      Good luck!

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide