real mfg?

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Fri, 07 Jul 1995 14:13:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 Gilreath@aol.com wrote:

> Gordon,
>
> As the head technician for a Baldwin dealer I might be able to clear up a
> little bit of this rumor.  (Frank, fell free to add anything that I miss.)
>
> Baldwin has three piano plants in the United States: Greenwood, Miss. for
> case parts and some assembly, Trumann, Ark. for grand cases and vertical
> assembly and Conway, Ark. for Grand assembly.  The confusion arises from the
> Pratt-win action mfg plant being located in Juarez, Mexico (just over the
> border from El Paso).  So any instrument made in this country, or any other,
> which uses a Pratt-win (formerly Pratt-Read) action has these parts buklt in
> Mexico.  Certain models of certain brands owned by Baldwin are built in Korea
> under contract but that's a different story.  For a rundown of all of that
> info refer to Larry Fine's posting and book.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Allan Gilreath
> Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
> Berry College
> Gilreath@aol.com

Thank you very much, Allan, for the unflaming direct answer to an oft
repeated rumor...this is the best way to quell rumors, shocked gasps
from others notwithstanding. ;->  As I often tell my students, there
is no such thing as a stupid question...I turned 56 June 14, but I
still have ALOT to learn!!

Thanks again, Allan, and to the purveyors of this forum, thanks as well!

Gordon Wilson