$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

phillip c sloffer psloffer@indiana.edu
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:24:31 -0500 (EST)

Read this

Later,
-Phil

+ + + + + + + + + + + + +
+  Phil Sloffer         +
+  psloffer@indiana.edu +
+  Indiana University   +
+  School of Music      +
+  Bloomington Indiana  +
+ + + + + + + + + + + + +

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 17:47:24 -0500
From: Craig Resta <cmresta@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
To: psloffer@indiana.edu

Subject: (fwd) Piano Tuner Finds $20,000
Newsgroups: clari.local.nyc

From: C-ap@clarinet.com (AP)
Newsgroups: clari.local.nyc
Subject: Piano Tuner Finds $20,000
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 6:30:19 PDT
Expires: Tue, 11 Jul 95 6:30:19 PDT
ACategory: usa
Slugword: Piano-Man

      NEW YORK (AP) -- A piano tuner taking apart a junked spinet
discovered 62 savings bonds worth at least $20,000, then turned
sleuth to find the owners' heirs.
      ``It was pretty amazing when you see 62 one-hundreds,'' Jay
Nicolai, the finder, said Monday.
      ``The minute I saw them, all I could think of is: Somebody cared
about their family pretty much to actually purchase 62 savings
bonds,'' he said.
      Nicolai's boss had taken the small upright piano from a porch in
Farmingville on June 11 because its owner, who'd found it five
years ago on a roadside, was going to junk it.
      The Long Island piano man figured he'd either rebuild it or use
it for parts. Nicolai found the treasure when he began taking apart
the 48-year-old Baldwin.
      The bonds would have matured in the 1980s to face value of $100
each. But because they were never cashed in, they kept earning
interest and are worth at least $20,000.
      Nicolai ``started knocking on doors,'' searching for someone who
recognized the name on the bonds. After a dozen doors, Nicolai
found a man who told him: ``That's my mom's maiden name.''
      Nicolai met the woman on Friday.
      ``She called us back and couldn't quite believe it,'' said
Nicolai's boss Alan Howard Sherman. ``She didn't know her parents
had set them (the bonds) aside.''
      The couple who originally bought the bonds are dead. The heirs
promise the piano men a reward.
      Nicolai's other finds inside pianos have included ``30 or 40
silver dollars from the 1800s and a Movado watch.
      ``It turns out it was a birthday present three years before, and
the woman had it for three days before it disappeared,'' Nicolai
said.