Center Pin Lubricant

Henry Brugsch henry@g0gku.demon.co.uk
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 19:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:54:20 -0600 (MDT),
         in <112@forte.demon.co.uk>
Barrie Heaton wrote:
(snip)
 > I am glad some one found a use for centre pin lubricant. The
 >company I use to work for in the late seventies used the stuff
 >by the gallon it caused us no end of problems pianos action
 >developed bad squeaks and wen you tried to recanter the bushings
 >fell out so my first encounter with centre pin lubricant was not
 >a happy one rebushing all them flanges
Well, I can only speak for my short-term experiences with the Tuners'
Supply stuff.
Remember, I said it was possibly camphor based, I had a situation in a
school back in Lexington Ma, I think it was.
They had a piano whose centers had seized up to the degree that nothing
was playable.
I told them I'd try the cpl, that no guarantees went with it, that at
best, might work for a short time, at worst, do nothing at all.
Otherwise, they'd have had to fork out for a total recentering job. This
wasn't in their budget, so we went for the cpl.
I maintained those pianos for a good few years, and this particular
Hamilton came up fine. The centers were eased sufficiently to work
easily.
They had their piano back for a good 5 years, at least.
Course, I can't speak for beyond that time.

-----
   Henry Brugsch