Pleyel Help

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 17:53:54 +0059 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Jul 1995, Vince Mrykalo wrote:

> > One small college I work for just asked me to appraise a piano which was
> > given to them.  The college needed to know if the piano was worth over $1000
> > so they could appropriately list the donor in the Presidents Club.  They also
> > wanted to send the donor a statement of thanks with acknowledgement of the
> > gift worth x-amount of $.
>
> >  Personally I do not think (especially after talking to the music dept) that
> > it will ever play a Chopin mazurka again.
> >
> > My questions:
> > 1. Does this piano have some value?
> > 2. And the ethical meat here, what would you do?
>
> Have them donate it to a museum.
>
> ---
> Vince Mrykalo  rpt

Really? I'm looking at a listing of the E.M. Frederick Historical Piano
collection (Ashburnham, MA) - he is a dealer and restorer, and that 1850
Pleyel fits in rather nicely (right next to the 1850 Erard). And then
there's the ad Ed Swenson (Trumansburg, NY) keeps running in the Journal
for historical pianos in any condition, up to 1850. I wouldn't give
anything away without first checking with one of them. Let's wait and see
what Stephen Birkett has to say, shall we, before offering advice - after
all, that's his field of expertise...

Israel Stein