Pleyel Help

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 13:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Really? I'm looking at a listing of the E.M. Frederick Historical Piano
> collection (Ashburnham, MA) - he is a dealer and restorer, and that 1850
> Pleyel fits in rather nicely (right next to the 1850 Erard). And then
> there's the ad Ed Swenson (Trumansburg, NY) keeps running in the Journal
> for historical pianos in any condition, up to 1850. I wouldn't give
> anything away without first checking with one of them. Let's wait and see
> what Stephen Birkett has to say, shall we, before offering advice - after
> all, that's his field of expertise...

I emailed directly to the person asking about the Pleyel...asking for
serial number and some details. A piano c1850 certainly has some
historical value (regardless of condition)...serial number will
confirm the date. I recently came across a supposedly `1805' piano
that was actually an 1832. An `1850' piano may be more accurately
much earlier....hence quite valuable. With Pleyels the serial number
will tell. Chopin's Pleyels were 1839 and 1847. I know a local Pleyel
which I date at 1852. The difference of five years from Chopin's is
notable. (e.g. the 1852 has a capo tasto, the 1847 doesn't).