Hammer weight

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 09:45:41 -0500 (EST)

>I don't think that is as much of a variable as it appears.  Around c5
>and above, there is nothing you can do to prevent the hammer, what
>ever its weight, from dampening the fundamental by length of hammer
>contact (see third lecture in "Five Lectures on The Acoustics of the
>Piano"). Conversly, below C3, the hammer will always escape from the
>string before it can dampen the fundamental by its contact.
---
>Vince Mrykalo  rpt

This is a good constructive argument.  A source is listed which one can
then refer to verify the claim.

In general, I find this lacking in Internet discussions.  Usually there
is one or two "Gurus" who appear to have all the answers.  They answer the
questions without giving the reasons or documentary support for their beliefs.
We are simply expected to believe in their wisdom because they have researched
it for themselves.

Michael Wathen