Center Pin Lubricant

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 18:39:12 +0000 (GMT)

In your message dated Thursday 13, July 1995 you wrote :
> On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Barrie Heaton wrote:
>
> > I personally store my center pins in a  50/50 dry powder graphite
> > and baby powder mixture, (the stuff you put on babies bums)  this
> > allows me to have a tighter fit in the wood and the bushing and
> > still alow the center to move freely I uses to just use 100%
> > graphite but this was messy and  difficult to get of your hands.
>
> Aren't you concerned about all of that extra garbage (perfumes and such)
> in the baby powder causing squeaks in the action centers?  Perhaps you
> mean pure talc powder?  (Unadulterated.)
>
> How does your "solution" make for a tighter fit?
>
> Ron Torrella
> School of Music             ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
> University of Illinois

Dear Ron

as I have only using talc in my mixture for approximately six
months I  have not  came across this problem yet time will tell
as for the second part of you query graphite is a form of
lubricant thus so enabling you to push the center through the
wood more ease, thus allowing you to use a tighter fitting pin
in the wood. the busing will require less reaming for the same
reason. I have been useing graphite since 1980 with no problems
Hope this answers your question.

You wrote:

>Personally, since I have the rare luxury of picking and
>choosing who will be my clients, I would just as soon not
>have to contend with customers who have hearing problems
>severe enough to call into question my abilities as a tuner.
>I have yet <knocking on wood> to encounter

Ron Torrella
School of Music          ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois

Ron,

   why is it a rare luxury?.

  is there a regenal variation in pricing for tuning.  In
  England there in a north south deived  25 north 35
  south for tuning,  rising  for pitches.

  Why  do you nead    ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **  whot
  are all you frightened of? :-) :-)

thanks

Barrie Heaton MABPT MIMIT
England.