Hammer weight

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

     David Stanwood wrote:

     >>Any chance of getting strike weight numbers off this instrument?
     What makes you say they were extremely light?<<

     I had the action out and saw the hammers.  They couldn't have been
     made any lighter, although I didn't measure them. The touchweight
     ranged from 68 to 45 if I remember correctly.  I don't remember the
     upweights, but I do remember that they were high in the bass and
     acceptable in the treble.  There were no leads in the keys, so the
     effort required to play the action was very low in spite of the high
     touchweight in the bass.  Soft playing was not difficult at all
     because the friction levels and regulation were on target.  Glissandos
     could be a problem - I didn't try that.

     Once again, this is only one piano that I have seen done to that
     extreme.  In my own work I don't carry things so far.

     Now I'll poison everything I have said by telling you the concert was
     in Seattle.  Maybe the technician can supply you with the strike
     weights.  Or have you evaluated that instrument?

     In another message David Stanwood wrote, regarding high velocity
     making up for low mass:

     >>Theoretically it would seem it could.  The reality is, it doesn't.<<

     OK, I'll give more thought to this as I work. Unfortunately reality is
     not a constant - I'll have to wait for your book to understand yours a
     little better before I discard my own! (BG)  8-)

     You've been posting lots of great information, and you mentioned that
     you have done measurements of tone production to establish your
     charts. I hope to be able to read the details in your forthcoming
     book.  I for one appreciate your continuing to write here.

     Do_Mannino@YCA.ccmail.compuserve.com