Tough jobs and Hearing

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 17:24:15 -0400

One way I have approached this problem in the past is to try to determine
what a customer is or is not hearing. What I have heard described as "knock
component" increases in the higher register. In an effort to see if this
"knock component" is overwhelming the piano tone in the higher registers, I
pluck the strings and ask if the customer can hear them. I usually start a
bit below the area of concern and work up to it. The usual response is that
they can barely hear it. From that point the discussion can go several ways
depending on the customer's responses. I try not to talk down to them nor
over their head. I find the best results occur for me if I listen to two
sentences before I speak one. I don't discuss hearing loss with them as I do
not feel I am qualified in the area. I do sometimes talk to them about the
loss of visual and aural acuity I experienced when I got over 40 years on the
odometer.  I have found that customers who complain can become excellent
customers. Either excellent current customers or excellent former customers.
                                                              Dale Probst
                                                 Registered Piano Technician
                                                      Ward & Probst, Inc.
                                                     Piano & Organ Service