coupled motion of piano strings

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:43:38 -0500 (EST)

Let me clarify that my experiment is with a monochord and what I
have verified is that the horizontal motion of the string decays
at a slower rate then does the vertical motion of the string.  So
I haven't been looking at unison groups of strings.

What I'm more interested in is looking at ways in which the
string is coupled to the bridge.  What might happen if one were
to find a way of coupling the string that would result in a
minimum decay slope for the horizontal oscillations.  The result
is that the energy in the string from a hammer blow is stored in
this horizontal plane and gradually given over to vertical plane
which is the one that actually drives the bridge-soundbaord
system.

My model will look at many things but I have to focus on my
objective for now and save some of the other stuff for later.

Michael Wathen