over damper aka squirel cage

DAVander@aol.com DAVander@aol.com
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 02:48:15 -0400

>I am curious. been living over here since 1986. Most of the work I do
>is on over damper pianos.
>Are there any still functioning back in the States?

>For me, tuning these pianos is no great deal. Would have been >when I first
started tuning. But, after a number of years here they >are totally routine.
>regards
>
>-----
>   Henry Brugsch

Dear Henry,

I have been tuning one Robertson overdamper piano for about a year now.
  That is the only one I know of in playable shape in my area.  I have seen
two others that were in need of total restoration to be playable. But, I got
a call recently about another overdamper piano that I may be tuning soon if
it is in good shape.

For me it is NOT routine to tune this piano!  Probably because of lack of
experience with them.  I would appreciate any hints you can give me on how to
tune this type of piano more efficiently.

Also, do you have any information about regulating the dampers on these
pianos?  Another technician replaced all of the damper felts on the action
about a year and a half ago, and I have been struggling with getting them to
work properly ever since then.  (Of course, having the new felts is much more
preferable than the old crusty felt that was on there before.)

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO
Associate Member, Kansas City Chapter PTG
davander@aol.com