WurliTzer Roll Changer, and Ivory

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 08:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

> If the yellowed ivories are already brittle or easily cracked, then
> bleaching and exposure to lots of UV wavelengths might make them less
> durable.  Basically, too much of a good thing might damage the ivories.

I agree Fred.  I've soaked ivories that I have saved from keytop
replacement jobs in hydrogen peroxide solution for a week to remove epoxy
and other nasties.  Some of them actually slowly disintegrated to
powder.  Others looked like a badly weather beaten piece of wood.  I've
never had them suffer any ill effects using the proceedure I posted.  The
event is probable though.

The best ivory seems to be on old Steinways.  Thick, excellent quality,
attractive graining, durable, and very responsive to whitening.  Thin,
badly curled ivories with perhaps lots of cracks, I don't waste my time
or the customer's money whitening.

--- Larry Fisher RPT, Portland Metro's Authority on PianoDisc Systems
        For more information call (360) 256-2999 in Vancouver, Wa.
                      or email larryf@pacifier.com