moment of inertia (ignore if you want)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 11:42:42 -0400

Two hammers/shanks with identical strike weights but one has a steel shank
with a lighter hammer, the other a heavier hammer and a light wood shank
will certainly have different inertial moments and will require different
dynamic force to propel them.  But in the real world hammers and shanks vary
only slightly in their configuration, such as bore length etc.  I haven't
seen any data to indicate that these variations skew the meaning of strike
weight significantly, although technically there are measurable differences.
 I would love it if one of us had, and took, the time to push a pencil long
enough to come up with some analysis of inertial moments.

Stanwood