Tech tip from Albuquerque

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 13:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

Once in a while a class will have one tip that makes the whole day worthwhile.
Such was the case in Albuquerque in the class, Regulating the Kawai EX Concert
Grand, sponsored by Kawai America. The instructor, Takanori Otake, shared
several valuable tips, but this one had most of the audience slapping their
foreheads and muttering, "Why didn't I think of that?"

When spacing grand hammers or checking hammer-to-string fit, we normally raise
the hammers by lifting the jack tenders. We have to press the jack tender into
the let-off button to delay let-off, while also pressing midway along the jack
tender to lift the wippen and block the hammer against the string. This will
only work if let-off is set fairly close, otherwise the jack trips and the
hammer never reaches the string. Mr. Otake's method is to first raise all the
shanks and lay a piece of bushing cloth or thin felt over the tops of the
repetition levers, the full length of the action. Now when the hammer shanks are
laid back down, the knuckles sit on the felt strip. This delays let-off, so the
jacks never trip. Even if let-off is already set very close, this method makes
the job much easier and faster because no special technique is required. You can
reach in with four fingers and block four or five hammers against the strings at
once. If you are lucky enough to be working on a piano with V-shaped or narrowed
flanges, you can use a flange spacing tool with one hand while holding the
hammers blocked with the other, and space hammers in a matter of minutes.

The felt strip can be any thin material about 2" wide and 54" long. A strip of
muffler rail felt makes a good ready-made piece. Bushing cloth is also ideal.

Thanks to Ray Chandler and Kawai for arranging and sponsoring this class.

Bill Spurlock