New listserv

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 00:29:20 -0500

      The university technicians forum in Albuquerque was very
informative for all who attended. We had a special session on what to
do about the ever-expanding list of subscribers to pianotech. Jack Reeves
the list-owner at BYU, is concerned that the list could get shut down if
it gets too large.
      There were many suggestions as to methods of minimizing the
traffic: such as less "banter", and avoiding questions of an elementary
level. Another idea was to have those 90% of the subscribers who don't
contribute to the dialogue unsubscribe and access the archive on WWW every
few days.
      I'm fairly certain we could start up a listserv on one of the
machines here at the University of Illinois for non-university technician
discussion, etc. I'd personally like to see everyone on one group as one
big happy family, but that doesn't seem likely. You can always subscribe
to BOTH listservs!
      Let me know what you think, as well as ideas for a name for the
list and we'll go from there.
      I unsubscribed from pianotech for a two week period while out of
town, and haven't re-subscribed yet. I've been downloading the archives
with gopher. Some of the CB style "chit chat" gets old after awhile...

       "We may use wood with intelligence only if we understand wood"
                  -----Frank Lloyd Wright
           John Minor//University of Illinois//jminor@uiuc.edu