digital keyboards

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 09:41:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995 BDeTar@aol.com wrote:

> >Remember: the only way to influence the sound is the speed of the
> >keypress and release.
>
> Just a very quick response...try the following: depress the damper pedal on
> an acoustic piano and then play a chord.  What you hear are SYMPATHETIC
> vibrations.  Do the same on an electronic keyboard, and what do you hear?.
>  Maybe they haven't come so far, eh baby?
>
> As a technician, I welcome the introduction of electronic keyboards.  They
> replace the small, arguably tunable pianos that we rarely enjoy servicing.
>  That leaves us with larger pianos, played by more serious musicians who
> appreciate the work we do!!
>

> Brian De Tar
> BDeTar@aol.com                      "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!!"

In my original post I never intended to present digital instruments as
substitutes, only alternatives.

We can (and probably will) spend days listed the admitted disadvantages
of digital pianos.  Another one is the fact that, while holding down the
"damper" pedal, if you gliss or arpeggiate (acceptable in mixed company)
the processor will start stealing away tones each time you exceed the
polyphony limit.

By the way, it is possible to imitate the effect of sympathetic vibrations
electronically, but price is a prime driver with electronic instruments
and no one has seen it as essential.
Seeking the best of the old and the new....I am

Gordon Wilson
Keyboard Studio