New listserv -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:40:14 -0700

>>> <Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com> 07/27/95
12:42pm >>>
>     All,
>     It makes sense that if BYU would prefer to limit traffic to only
>    university technician's discussion, we should honor that wish.
>    Setting up the alternative is the problem.
>    Young Chang is hoping to make room for a listserv on our
>internet server, but I can't promise anything yet. We will have
>our web page up in a week or so, but we haven't explored the
>software for running mail systems yet.
>     Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Good morning everyone,
Let me respond to Don's and John Musselwhite's messages.
My two concerns for the pianotech list are: (1) I don't want it to
get so big that BYU will not host it unless another site is available,
and (2) I don't want it to become a site for beginner's and
non-technician's discussions.
Regarding concern #1, along with the offer from Illinois to host,
Rick Florence says that ASU would be willing to host even if the
list grew much larger.  Their average-sized list is 750
subscribers.  So knowing that other sites are available just in
case, I won't worry about #1.  Now regarding concern #2, this list
exists for college and university technicians and those who are
doing similar work privately.  This presupposes a certain level of
competency.  Hopefully another site will be developed that could
help the beginner and non-tech.

Now to John's concern about ftp, gopher, and the web.  Ftp and
gopher are complicated, but the web isn't.  Many techs in
Albuquerque asked me about subscribing.  I asked each one of
them if they had web access, and most of them said "yes".
Therefore, they could access the archives through the Piano
Page that the two Ron's have developed.  For someone who
does not intend to be a frequent contributor, that's an easy way to
have access to the information without subscribing, which would
help keep the list from growing.

I'm going backpacking with our Boy Scout troop next week, so I
won't read pianotech again until Monday, August 7.  Thanks to all
who are contributing.  Pianotech has become a valuable source
of information and discussion for me.  It was fun to put faces with
a lot of email names in Albuquerque.

Jack
jack_reeves@byu.edu