Physics

Dan Squire Djws@mercury.netropolis.net
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 16:14:24 -0500

On  7/18  Stephen Birkett wrote on the subject of
hammer momentum physics:

"Looking at this hammer/string interaction for even a short while
indicates to me that no amount of elementary physics will
reveal very much about the process of energy transfer.
I believe arguments based on momentum, energy,
square pulses, fourier analysis etc. are all doomed to fail...sorry to
say it again...primarily because of inherent non-linearity, but also
because there are too many inter-related parameters."

Where a mathematical reasoning can be had, it is as great a folly
to make use of any other, as it is to grope for a thing in the dark
when you have a candle standing by you.
                                    -Arbuthnot

Dan Squire
University of Houston