RE Listserv

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:42:26 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:36 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE Listserv                           Date:  7/31/95

For what it's worth, here's a perception from Ken Sloane, Oberlin
Conservatory:

First of all, thanks to Jack and Vince for all the work and support that has
contributed to the success of the list.

As the list has grown, I have seen some of the "charter" members contribute
less and less. I have also heard from some of them personally that they would
prefer to see the character of the list return to that experienced during the
"good old days" when discussions seemed to be more technically involved and
related to college and university work.  I think this is understandable. For
one, the list was started as an arm of the College and University Technician's
Committee of PTG and initially had only college and university techs as
subscribers. Also, the newness of the network added a flavor for all the
"charter" members that we might never quite recapture.

My suggestions for the future:    I think two lists are inevitable, one for
more advanced, theoretical-type discussion and one for the nuts and bolts
stuff. And please, I do not mean to imply that the nuts and bolts type
discussion cannot be intellectually stimulating. To the contrary, mechanical
ingenuity and creativity can easily be integrated into "nuts and bolts"
articles.

Both lists should be open to all subscribers with the subscribers themselves
judging the appropriateness of postings for the list on which they appear. I
think we can politely tell one another that a posting might be more
appropriate for the "other" list.

Thanks for listening -- Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory