Re resource base & clearcut

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Fri, 02 Jun 1995 16:15:37 -0400 (EDT)

RE: K. Sloane's comments on clearcutting

I'm curious to know your background...you seem to be more
knowledgable about this topic than just a casual interest.

My `day job' so-to-speak is a research position in Ecosystem
Health...I concur with your comments to the list about
clear-cutting. BTW there are forests here in Ontario which have
failed to re-grow after only 2-3 clearcuts perhaps less than a
century since virgin forest conditions. The second growth resource
is generally inferior also...and commercial usage has to make do by
high-grading, using lesser-valued species etc. (The failed regions are
classified as `not sufficiently restocked' by the forestry sector)

[BTW my real job is a fortepiano builder.]

Stephen Birkett
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontari, Canada