scaling question

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Sat, 03 Jun 1995 23:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

Worth the bother? well, why not.  If the piano still has a good
structural integrity, and it is a full sized upright, then the end result
will most likely be a really nice sounding piano.  It can become a
learning tool for you.  Learn what you can with what time you got.

As for the stringing dilema, a good book to browse through regarding this
is "A Guide to Restringing" by John W. Travis, available through supply
houses, also consider the book from the PTG home office, The Calculating
Technician.

I've taken your existing stringing scale and followed it with what I
would do in your case.

> 13-----(8 unisons) 13......4 unisons (6 hitch pins)
                     13.5....4
> 14-----(6 unisons) 14......4 unisons (6 hitch pins)
                     14.5....2 unisons (3 hitch pins)
> 15-----(6 unisons) 15......4
                     15.5....2
>   ---break---
> 16-----(8 unisons) 16......4
                     16.5....4
> 17-----(6 unisons) 17......4
                     17.5....2
> 18-----(8 unisons) 18......4
                     18.5....4
> 19-----(8 unisons, 2 on treb. side of break, 6 on tenor) 19....4
                     19.5....4
> 20-----(6 unisons) 20......4
                     20.5....2
> 21-----(4 unisons) 21......4

Ok Gordon, there you are.  I wouldn't divide up the 21 guage strings
simply because that area of the piano is a transition area and can be a
technical nightmare in redesign.  I doubt if using 21.5 guage string for
the last two notes would make that much of a difference anyway, but
you're sure welcome to experiment.  The highest break in the scale has a
scale design no-no in it as designed from the factory.  Technically, you
should not change string size when crossing a break in the scale.  In
this case the scale designer chose to do so, and so I would have a
tendency to stay with what that person went with, rather than spend a few
days of my time playing with a formula that is quite complicated and a
piano that is quite old.  As it is, if you were to go with my scale
design, you would be improving the break at that point by going with
string that is closer in diameter.  You could also consider transposing
the unison count above the break for the 15 and 15.5 string guage.  That
would give a larger number of strings closer to the size on the other
side of the break.  Along the same lines, at the lower break, use 19
guage string on either side.

The changes here can get to be rather nit-picky but the overall result
might be for the better.  Regardless, by going with half sizes you are
improving the scale.  Wheather or not you could hear the difference would
be difficult to say.  It's been my findings that many old uprights had
whole scale sizes in their scales.  They were faster to string because
you weren't changing sizes as often.

A big upright, strung properly can really have a great tone.  I wish I
could hear the end result....maybe some day when I'm dreaming around
Vermont, I'll materialize somewhere nearby and give it a listen.....

Lar

--- Larry Fisher RPT, Portland Metro's Authority on PianoDisc Systems
        For more information call (360) 256-2999 in Vancouver, Wa.