cracking up?

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Thu, 08 Jun 1995 00:01:32 -0400

Dan Rue, RPT, Anacortes, Wa. wrote:
------------------
I am hoping for some advise on a recent problem. A client has an older
upright in basically playable condition except for the tuning. The plate has
a crack near the treble break that starts at a tuning pin & terminates at a
plate bolt below the pressure bar. The whole piano is about 50cents low & is
even lower in the treble above the crack. Should I attempt to tune this
piano? What are the possible consequences?  Is there any sort of relatively
cheap fix? The client has little money & cannot afford to replace the piano
at this time.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
--------------------
Dear Mr. Rue,

Based on the information you supplied I say:

Question #1:
Yes, tune at -50 cents first.  Pitch raise can come later down the road,
which solves "client has little money and cannot afford to replace the piano
at this time."

Question #2:
The piano will hold a tune.

Question #3 - It won't be necessary to fix if it holds a tune. (cart before
the horse concept)

in tune is more acceptable than no piano at all.  It is a beginning for some
folks.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter