advertising?

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 08 Jun 1995 15:05:04 -0500

        I second Stephen's comment. People should lighten up just a little.
Those of us who have been on the list since it started can testify that
"For Sale" notices have been very, very few and I believe that reasonably
unusual items as in Philip's posting do not stretch our guidelines to the
extreme. I doubt any of us would care to see frequent, daily ads for used
Accu-Tuners, new software or tools, rebuilding services, or common pianos.
Yet to blast Mr. Jamison at this point seems somewhat harsh and a little
premature.
        If everyone agrees to use some discretion when choosing what to
post or not, I think this danger and precedent will check itself. I have
much more often wished that some of the short, cute messages of
questionable meaning and value which really should have been sent
privately, could have been identified as such in the title. Some us get
60-100 messages/day, and I'm sure a few get even more.
        In a another year, or even less, we could be nostalgically
recalling the days when we had a list exclusively of technicians.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College