Piano to Univ tech formula

Barb Richmond brichmon@titan.iwu.edu
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 17:15:51 -0500 (CDT)

>           The best criteria must be are the needs of the students, faculty and
>     artists being met in an acceptable and timely manner without undue stress on
>     the technical staff.  These should not be killing fields!
>           I think the document is well prepared and can be used as a guideline
>     for any institution.
>           I would like to see it posted here for all to view and use as
>     possible.
>                 Newton
>                 nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu>

Ken Sloane,

Isn't this reference to killing fields mean our deaths due to too much
work per technician?  When I said that I had run into a problem at IWU
similar to Ron Torrella's complaint, I wasn't slamming the document.

Last February the piano faculty and I submitted a report/proposal in
hopes of gaining an annual  piano replacement/rebuilding program and
increasing the number of hours I am allowed to work.   Included were
 the guidelines, statistics of hours worked, work completed
and hair raising numbers on what wasn't getting done.  I'm told that we
are getting *something*, but no one has informed me yet of what gains
have been made.  I do know that the money we are getting isn't it's own
*line item* of the university's budget.  That annual line item is our
goal.  I would like to hear of anyone's successful or semi-successful
 program, so I could refer to it/them in the report I want to write this
year.  The administration here is awfully interested in hearing what
other schools of music have going.

Thanks!

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University