Pre-hung hammers

William Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 08:44:58 -0500

>I am considering pre-hung hammers for1967 Steinway D at Oklahoma Baptist
>University in Shawnee, Oklahoma.  Any recommendations and/or suggestions from
>those who have traveled this route.

Breifly,  be prepared to unglue and reposition the strike point in the first
treble section.  This may seem picky but the correct strike point in this
area will greatly affect volumn and sustain.  Also, since there is such
inconsistency in the speaking length of the strings in Steinway D pianos,
and since you are not in control of that,  you can not rely on factory specs
for the best place.  Your ears should be the best judge of that.  You
probally won't be able to tell much however until the hammer is properly
shaped and squared to the string.  You may even have to harden the hammer a
little.

Consider buying hammers unmounted.  If you have to move the hammers away
from the player, (rarely) it really messes up the job unless you replace the
shanks with longer ones.
William Sadler