Key Ratio

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:24:09 -0500

        I'm sure you all caught the minor error in the articulation of my
question yesterday, but the issue is still the same. I should have said
that by moving the stack out and the hammers in, I could then move the
capstans out about .6mm, not .25mm.  I know that I will just have to
experiment and compare different solutions, but my question was really if
anyone has some good ideas, opinions or data comparing change in key ratio
with change in shank leverage or change in wip ratio, as Kieth suggested by
moving the heels?

________

At  4:52 PM 6/20/95 -0600, Kam544@aol.com wrote:

>Will someone please re-educate me as to the method of placing a string or
>thread from the hammer flange center to some other action part to determine
>appropiate alignments?

        Keith, I don't think I am able to quickly put together a complete,
accurate and clear demonstration of whatever I have so far learned of
proper action geometry here on the internet. Perhaps someone else will jump
in with a summary for you. If not, the Convention next month will be an
ideal place for you to grab someone and raise questions. I think that the
CAUT forum will cover this subject at an advanced level this year and I
regret not being able to go myself. In the meantime (and forever after) I
recommend studying Walter Pfeiffer.  Much of his work is translated into
English and I would start with "The Piano Key and Wippen". There are other
books too, but this will have more than enough to chew on.

        Has anyone ever moved heels on Steinway wippens?

                                        Dennis Johnson
                                        St. Olaf College