food & beverages

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 14:42:14 -0400

On Tuesday the 21st (summer solstace) Joel wrote:
-------------
"...a student with the big bottle of evian water sitting
on a 7' Baldwin.  After my usual introduction she retorted that she was a
'voice major' and needed water for her throat.  During the long argument
following we were joined by the facilities coordinator and the assistant to
the director..."
-------------

Customarily, confronting any individual with a theoretical transgression
committed is entering upon dangerous waters.  Unless one has the absolute
authority to back up such an action, it usually leads to just exactly what
you have described...greater problems than you originally had.

Even having absolute authority is no guarantee of a change of behavior in any
individual nor even an admission of any wrongdoing. (For excellent examples
of this, watch the TV programs, Cops or Tales of the Highway Patrol if you
want to see flagrant violations of seemingly obvious discrepancies of
appropiate behavior)  But at least having authority does allow corrective
measures to be taken.

What would be ideal, of course, is to point out politely to the offending
individual that liquids near pianos are not in the best interest of these
instruments because accidents do happen.  Then the ideally the offender would
say, "Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  I forgot."  Then we move
on until the next time it occurs.

What I have been realizing more and more is most individuals have an extreme
reluctance to "own up" to being in the wrong.  The art of calling a
discretion to someone's attention and then allowing that someone to "own up"
is a fine line and requires a different attitude than is customarily
presented.

Avoiding confrontational situations when at all possible is a very desirable
place from my point of view.  When confrontation is no longer avoidable, then
polite, firm diplomacy is the next order of business.  In the few instances
that I have had to bring "Evian water" matters to a person's attention, I
have usually communicated sincerely and honestly of my uneasiness with them
having liquids near the piano because it might spill.  After all, I will be
the one to rectify the situation should the liquid actually spill.  So in
essence, I am putting my best interests at the forefront of this matter.  I
already have enough work without any unncessary activity being added.

Any minimal-confrontational ploy I can use to redirect the liquid being
placed at any other location than the piano is "in my mind's eye" a move in
the right direction.
The moment the individual makes any type of acknowledgement that they will
correct the situation, either verbally or by active action, I move on.  It
becomes a done deal.  I leave and don't look back to see if they have
followed through.
This allows them time and space to hopefully "own up" according to their
particular disposition.

I might check on the situation later if I have a definite uncertainty of
corrective action being taken, but it will only be after I know that the
individual(s) have gone.  This is a feedback moment for me only to monitor
the receptivity to my request and to review the approach I took in this
matter.

As of this post, I have yet to encounter any individual that flagrantly and
openly  defiles a sincere and honest presentation of the possible
consequences where liquids and pianos are concerned.

Hope this helps.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter