food & beverages

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 00:07:48 -0400

Keith A. McGavern wrote:

>Avoiding confrontational situations when at all possible is a very
>desirable
>place from my point of view.  When confrontation is no longer
>avoidable, then
>polite, firm diplomacy is the next order of business.  In the few
>instances
>that I have had to bring "Evian water" matters to a person's
>attention, I
>have usually communicated sincerely and honestly of my uneasiness
>with them
>having liquids near the piano because it might spill.

Diplomacy is just another word for . . . . salesmanship. If you are educating
your clients, you will be constantly contradicting "facts" on which they have
based their care of the piano. And their mothers before them. Finding
diplomatic, acceptable ways of saying things is an important part of being a
good person.

The biggest possible offense to me, an independent Tech, is to not get paid
by the client. If I have the least inkling a person's check may bounce, I
find a way to work in an "amusing" fact. I tell them I don't worry about
getting bad checks, because in the state of Washington, labor is highly
protected by law. Until I am paid, I am part owner of the piano to the amount
I am owed. Within 90 days, I can file a "Mechanics Lien" with the county. If
I am still not paid, I can go to court and get an order. If I am still not
paid, the Sheriff shows up at the door, walks in and takes the piano away to
auction. I get paid first, and the owner gets whatever is left.

The client being told this story laughs, and I laugh with them. They write me
a check that will not bounce.

If you haven't ever read Dale Carnegie, do it. How to influence people,
rule # 7: Let the other fellow feel that the idea is his.

Dave Stocker
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

Q. What's the difference between a clarinet and an onion?
A. Nobody cries when you chop a clarinet up into tiny pieces.