Renner Parts

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:23:29 -0500

At  9:58 AM 6/28/95 -0600, stanwood wrote:

>My strike weight ratio data shows that for a given key ratio the Pre-84
>supplied by Steinway yeilds the highest ratio and therefore the lowest
>leverage.  The Post-84 Hamburg Steinway parts yeild the lowest strike weight
>ratio and therefor yeild the highest leverage.
>
>The Renner USA falls somewhere in between.
>

>By the way, what's the price of NY shanks now?

_____________

        Thanks for your sensible summary. If I may pursue this just a
little further, I have a question. I understand the pre-84 and the Renner
USA shank to both have equal leverage but the pre-84 has greater friction
due to its bigger knuckle. Do you include friction into your statement of
overall leverage as a function strike balance weight? If so, then this
makes sense, if not, please explain how knuckle size directly relates to
leverage on the shank.  Thanks again.

        I believe that Renner USA did just have a price increase in June.
Prior to that shanks were $290.00. If you are asking about N.Y. made
Steinway parts, I don't know.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College