buzzing agraffes

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 17:20 -0500 (EST)

>At  6:23 PM 6/27/95 -0600, richard west wrote:
>>Since agraffe problems have come up, I've heard agraffes can buzz.
>>I've never run into the problem but it seems to me that there is too much
>>tension on an agraffe to allow the base or threads to buzz against the
>>plate.  I know "buzzes" can come from poorly leveled strings, but I
>>wouldn't call that an agraffe buzz.  Anyone out there fixing agraffe
>>buzzes?
>>
>_________

I ran into buzzes that were not from the wire against the agraffe, but from
the agraffe against the plate.  Another tuner had told them it was the bass
strings, and a few of the buzzes were.  I ended up replacing the bass
strings, but found that many of the agraffes were only tight to the plate
when turned past where they needed to be.  With the agraffe washers and a
little "crunch" I was able to get them tight in the right spot.  The buzz
they were making was more like the sound of a loose winding on a bass string
than the normal sizzle of a string rattling in the agraffe.

Ron
Ron Berry, RPT (Registered Piano Technician)
ronberry@iquest.net

Check out the Piano Page at http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
for some great information and links about pianos!