Rail Cloth

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Mon, 01 May 1995 10:47:10 -0800 (PST)

>What do you folks use to replace the cloth on a Steinway grand action hammer
>rail. Even the .85mm flange  bushing cloth is pretty thick and spongy. Two
>days ago, I tried out some nameboard felt but suspect that by the time this
>action change is finished, I will have replaced it for something stronger.
>(Maybe I should just order Steinway's 004430 at $10 the strip. But it's
>black, and black is for widows and scarlet is sexier....)

I agree that bushing cloth is too thick and spongy for this - the flanges
don't seem to stay put.  I just went through my wife's fabric scrap bag and
found some nice woven felt cloth (red) that seemed to be a pretty good match
for the best of the stock cloth I've seen.  On the other hand some of the
stock cloth I've seen is too thin and hard for my taste.

Mark

Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu
Cheney, Washington, USA                |  mark.story@phunnet.org