Bilson, fortepianos

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 02 May 1995 21:36:48 -0500

More from Manley...

>From smanley@kentlaw.eduTue May  2 21:36:13 1995
Date: Tue, 2 May 95 16:46:00 -0600
From: Steven Manley <smanley@kentlaw.edu>
To: torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Fortepianos & tuning.

This has been an excellent discussion.

Indeed, a good fortepiano, well prepared, should hold its tuning
through a concert just fine.  Audiences and listeners should demand good
tuning, and we should never excuse poor tuning on the grounds that that
is the nature of the instrument.

Rodney Regier's fortepianos are fine instruments.  To the extent that he
deviates from the antiques in his interpretation of a Graf, it is
undoubtedly for good reason.  One cannot truly copy; thus, to give life to
the older designs one must introduce some element of personal ingenuity
and creativity.

I have always found Regier's fortepianos to be stable and sound, regarding
tuning and action.  Along these lines, I should mention that the
fortepianos by John Lyon, Eastpointe MI, are unexcelled for stability.