Vector problem

JHarvey440@aol.com JHarvey440@aol.com
Wed, 03 May 1995 03:00:58 -0400

>One of my costumer has a Kawai piano ten years old
>and she tell me that is action is to heavy. After a standard
>regulation of the action the feeling is still on the heavy side.
>l' found that the captans was under the magic line
>for 1/8 of a inch.
>
>What do you do  to corect that?

                     ---End of quoted material---

I agree with Tom Seay's post on 'reconditioning' as opposed to 'regulation'.
Having said that, there are a few other points that come to mind...

1: Damper timing -- did this piano receive the once-over lightly treatment
during regulation? Early or late damper timing can create a noticeable
difference to the player.

2: Regarding the balance rail holes, be aware that it is -possible- that the
action was weighed off against friction at the balance holes. In other words,
at the time the keys are leaded at the factory, no consideration is given (at
that moment) as to how lose are tight the balance holes are.

3: If the piano is in fact about 10 years old, forget this part. If it is
(considerably) older, check for lose-fitting buckskin surrounding the knuckle
core. Some vintage "Kiwi's" had problems in this area due to a. momentary
lack of availablility of knuckle buckskin that met  factory specs; and b.
caul problems resulting from item 'a'.

4: Although they are usually consistent, you might look at the action spread.
The spread (including margin of error for senility) was 110.5mm for the earlie
r series, and 113mm for later models. 10 years old is right in the cracks, so
I can't provide exact dimensions.

5. The LAST thing I'd suggest on a Kawai is the "ankle bone connecting to the
leg bone" approach -- i.e., worrying about where an imaginary line crosses
this, that or the other.

Regards,
Jim Harvey