Softening hardened damper felt?

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 16 May 1995 09:10:32 -0500

On Tue, 16 May 1995, Walter Sikora wrote:

> I'm working on a grand that has a little buzz when the dampers seat.
> The felt has hardened just a little, otherwise fine, and the dampers
> have nice even lift and are regulated well.  Does anyone out there
> know of "magic potion" to soften damper felt without removing it?
> Walter Sikora, RPT

Sounds like you're looking for the cheap way out of this problem.  Why?
It seems obvious that the most effective way to address the problem would
involve taking the dampers out.  Use the opportunity to perfect your
damper installation/regulation skills!

I'd look at the dampers (take several of the noisiest ones out for close
examination) to determine whether replacement or reconditioning (I think
the latter is a lost cause) will be required.  If they're crusty, start
over.  They're just going to get crusty again.

IMHO: Forget the bandaids.  Make your time count!

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html