sandpaper

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 17 May 1995 12:01:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all;  would like to relate my exasperations, and some solutions to
the disk sander discussion:

As a Shopsmith Mark V user, I've found their 10" (variable speed) disk to
be handy.  I once tried to find less expensive adhesive-backed garnet or
aluminum oxide 10" circles at industrial supplies, Klingspore, and other
catalogs, but found that Shopsmith usually runs a sale (about twice a
yr.) where they sell their papers for lower price than most other
places.  I store the paper in zip-lock bags to extend the life of the
unused psa (adhesive) layer.  I have two metal disks; one for psa papers,
and another with the velcro (hook and loop).  BTW, nothing seems to stick
to the new metal disks, which come coated with corrosion-resistant black
oxide until after one treats the metal surface.  I finally sand-blasted
the metal after trying (unsuccessfully) all known organic solvents.
Shopsmith's claim that velcro-backed extends the life of the paper seems
to be true; but velcro-backed seems terrible for small parts as it is too
cushiony to preserve small corners.  Since each arbor is a little
different, one should true a new metal disk before use;  I use paper
balance-rail punchings between the wheel flange and wheel to true the
wheel.  Thought I would share the problems and solutions I've had with
the 10" disk.  Since many Shopsmith (and other) accessories are now made
in off-shore (China, etc.) plants, it is important to check and true any
new tool.  For large work, velcro-backed is very handy.

Fred Scoles, RPT    Syracuse chapter