sandpaper

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed, 17 May 1995 11:12:44 -0500

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Frederick G Scoles wrote:

> catalogs, but found that Shopsmith usually runs a sale (about twice a
> yr.) where they sell their papers for lower price than most other
> places.

Any clues as to when those sales are?

> BTW, nothing seems to stick
> to the new metal disks, which come coated with corrosion-resistant black
> oxide until after one treats the metal surface.  I finally sand-blasted
> the metal after trying (unsuccessfully) all known organic solvents.
> Shopsmith's claim that velcro-backed extends the life of the paper seems
> to be true; but velcro-backed seems terrible for small parts as it is too
> cushiony to preserve small corners.  Since each arbor is a little
> different, one should true a new metal disk before use;  I use paper
> balance-rail punchings between the wheel flange and wheel to true the
> wheel.  Thought I would share the problems and solutions I've had with
> the 10" disk.  Since many Shopsmith (and other) accessories are now made
> in off-shore (China, etc.) plants, it is important to check and true any
> new tool.  For large work, velcro-backed is very handy.

I haven't had a problem with getting the psa to stick to my disks.  I did
take the disks to a machine shop and had them re-bore the arbor hole.
While I was at it, I had the machinist make an arbor to fit the disk so
that there is very little play on the arbor.  I still make sure the disk
is true before sanding anything.

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html