Gluing & In-home regulating

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 22 May 1995 13:10:19 +0300

>I just have a few questions.  I have been re-reading some earlier journals
>(1988), and I noticed in the technical section that Susan Graham suggested not
>using aliphatic resin (yellow glue) to glue in flange clothe. Rather hot hide
>glue was the best choice.  My first question is this: What does a person use
>for the singular flanges encountered in the field where you don't want to get
>out the glue pot.  I have been using Elmers wood glue (is this a mistake?)
>What is acceptable for the tech. exam?  Question number 4,  I also read in one
>of SG's articles that she uses a folding camp table in the home to regulate
>grand actions on.  Doesn't one need to be concerned about the levelness of
>this table when regulating.   What are your thoughts,  since I don't have a
>large shop space or the means to move a grand to a shop, I thought this would
>be a reasonable idea.

1. Elmer's white glue is just fine for the occasional bushing repair in the
field. It's simply not practical (IMHO) to carry around seven or eight
types of glue, at least not for me. I usually carry white glue and C/A
glue. Now in the shop, that's a different matter entirely.

2. The regulation you do on a portable table SHOULD NOT include let-off,
dip,or blow distance, except in the most general sense (just to get you in
the ballpark). Tables are wonderful for filing hammers, polishing guide
pins, easing keys, etc. But blow distance, dip and let-off MUST be done
inside the piano, because that's where the strings and keybed are located.

Tom Seay
The Unversity of Texas at Austin
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu