Copyright Infringement

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 25 May 1995 08:02:46 -0500

On Wed, 24 May 1995 PNOTNR@aol.com wrote:

> I am the newsletter editor for the Maine Chapter.  I have used material from
> Pianotech in newsletters.  I don't know about the legal aspect, but common
> sense tells me that if you send E-mail to a group, mostly PTG anyway, there
> shouldn't be any objection to use of the info. in PTG newsletters.  I give
> credit for the source in each instance.  I would suggest that if someone
> doesn't want something to go any further than pianotech, they will likely say
> so.  I'd be flattered if someone used information I gave here.  (Just don't
> hold me accountable when the piano falls apart!)
>
> Gordon Large

The problem lies in the editing.  Something taken out of context (ie.
only part of a "conversation" is included in the quote) could be terribly
misleading.  There have been some discussions here that are fragmented.
Someone coming along in the middle or at the end of such a fragmented
discussion might miss some very important things.  Judging from the lack
of movement on the issue (by BYU computer higher-ups -- *not* Jack, bless
his heart!), it may be impossible to refer to some things because some of
the archives may have been lost.  This is the primary reason for checking
with the author.  It's only courtesy at this point -- not enforceable law.

Think of it this way.  Say you go to a seminar and you tape record
conversations you have with various PTG members.  Later, after reviewing
the tapes, you decide you want to include something somebody said during
the course of your conversation in a newsletter.  Don't you suppose the
person you recorded -- with or without their knowledge -- would be a
little concerned about your actions?  That's sort of what goes on here
(recording in the sense that some folks are saving conversations more or
less covertly).  The fact that most of the conversation here is with
regard to the work we do is beside the point.  It's the notion that
quoting someone freely -- without their prior knowledge and/or consent --
could lead to some embarrassing or potentially job-threatening situations.
It doesn't take much imagination to think about how *that* could happen.

Please don't take my commentary to be that of an alarmist.  From a purely
rational standpoint, it seems prudent (sorry George!) to at least give
consideration to the possibility that some who write to this list may be
hesitant about being quoted.  Of course, what they don't know *probably*
cant hurt them (so you could quote anyone and not attribute names to
maintain anonymity) unless the quote is presented in such a way as to
raise eyebrows or fists.  :-)

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html