Knuckle leather

Thu, 25 May 1995 15:32:50 -0500 (CDT)

I guess it is time to spit on my hands, roll up my sleeves
-scratch that, I'm wearing a t-shirt now- and get to work.

The time has come for me to finally replace knuckles rather
than entire shanks which, until now *was* what was needed.

Problem, of course, is orienting the nap of the leather.
I didn't pull the action from every grand to check, but the
ones I did either had fuzz so long it flopped either way, nap
so fine it didn't seem to matter, or lubrication masking it.

Problem is an S&S D with a let-off which feels like a speed-
bump.

I have a set of knuckles of unknown lineage here ready to install,
and inserted one to experiment. On that one, the better feel was
obtained by having the jack escape against the nap and return
with. Before I replace all 88, I'd like some confirmation that
I'm on the right track.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT     |      ...and when it worked the first time
Luther College             |      I darn near broke my arm patting