Hammer steaming

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 25 May 1995 16:38:51 -0600

>>can an over-steamed hammer be restored by ironing?

>Heat (dry or wet) and static pressure reduces the volume of the felt,
>increasing density and reducing resiliancey.  Steam reverses things by
>increasing the volume, decreasing density, and increasing resiliancy.  The
>cyle may be repeated endlessly.

Thanks... that's what I wanted to know.

>clogs up the felt.  To tell if it is a candidate try a sample by applying
>minimal steam, that is in and out of the spout very quickly.  Let it sit for
>a few minutes ant check the result.  Assess for tonal effects and changes in
>the shape of the felt.  Analyse and proceed.   `

Experience is the best teacher I guess... I was concerned about permanent
damage.

>>the seventies but they were never lacquered. The customer complains the tone
>>is too bright but the fibres just shred when they are filed and needles drop

>Steam only works on felt that has been hardened and densified by heat and
>pressure.  In this situation, the steam may have little or no effect.  Just
>try it and see if it works.

I think I'll keep that as a last resort type of measure. As the hammers seem
soft already I don't think softening them more is the way to go... It would
appear that the technique would apply more to Asian hammers rather than ones
where the hammer's density is controlled by the juice.

>Steam needles, vice grips, irons, etc., etc. all exist to help us acheive
>a density gradient in the felt that produces the best tone.

And a rather elusive thing this "best tone" seems to be too. Everyone seems
to have a different idea of what that is!

The _only_ hammer training I've ever had is from the S&S factory and the
techniques don't apply to many situations, dictated either by the hammers or
the customer. I'm still hesitant about experimenting on my client's
instruments when they may hold me responsible for new hammers if things go
wrong.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com       john.musselwhite@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca